The Four R’s of Mixed Orientation Marriages: Resolve, Reconsider, Roller Coaster, Resolution
This class will meet via teleconference (from your phone) from 11am-12pm EST on the 4 Wednesdays in March. Recordings of this series will also be available for purchase on my website following the class.
Cost: $180 for the 4-class series. REGISTER HERE
- March 6
- March 13
- March 20
- March 27
What do you do when a woman comes to your office and tells you she is a lesbian but she hasn’t told her husband yet?
Or, what do you do when a gay man decides to act on his attraction to other men, but doesn’t want to tell his wife?
This four-part training will offer therapists the necessary information to understand why gay men and lesbians enter heterosexual marriages; it will offer the variables that make these situations unique, tools to assist clients in finding clarity and peace, and the skills to facilitate a more successful resolution for clients in mixed-orientation marriages.
WHO WILL BENEFIT FROM THIS CLASS?
- Imago therapists
- Social workers, psychologists, family therapists, counselors
- Pastoral care and other spiritual guides
- Life coaches
- Gay, lesbian, bisexual men and women who are, or have been married
- Current or previous partners of gay men, lesbians or bisexual folks
Participants will gain an improved understanding of:
- How a person’s imago can influence their conscious or unconscious decision to enter and / or exit a mixed orientation marriage
- The role of sexual fluidity in relationships and how it can impact relationships, commitments, and the survival of mixed-orientation marriages
- The etiology of mixed orientation marriages
- When and how mixed orientation marriages become a problem
- How to manage the chaos that develops when the mixed orientation becomes known, or becomes problematic
- How to facilitate healthy decision making for all parties involved
- The coming out process for gay men and lesbians
- Issues that complicate this process when they are involved in heterosexual relationships
ABOUT THE PRESENTERS
Joe Kort, Ph.D, MSW, MA, Psychotherapist, coach and author, has been in practice since 1985. He specializes in Gay Affirmative Psychotherapy as well as IMAGO Relationship Therapy. Dr. Kort is also a Board Certified Sexologist specializing in sex therapy and sexual identity. He is also a Certified Sexual Addiction, therapist, responsible non-monogamy/monogamy, childhood sexual, physical and emotional abuse, chemical dependency, mixed-orientation marriages, coming out, depression and anxiety. He offers workshops for couples and singles. He runs a gay men’s group therapy and a men’s sexuality group therapy for straight, bi and gay men who are struggling with specific sexual issues. His therapy services are for gays and lesbians as well as heterosexuals. Dr. Kort’s practice is mixed with straight, gay, lesbian and bi-attractional individuals and couples.
Michele O’Mara, Ph.D, MSW, LCSW also known as “The Lesbian Therapist,” holds a PhD in Clinical Sexology from the American Academy of Clinical Sexologists, a Masters of Social Work from Indiana University-Purdue University, and she is a Certified Imago Therapist. As a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), she has been specializing in the care of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender folks since 1994. She is author of two books which support healthy relationships, a personal growth series of classes called Designing My Life, she regularly provides couples workshops specifically for lesbian and gay couples, and she also offers relationship and life coaching to folks all across the country thanks to the internet!